Widener Law welcomes participants in this year’s Jurist Academy
on the Delaware campus, and looks forward to the arrival of Harrisburg Jurist Academy students on Monday, June 3rd.
A two-week long summer-camp that offers promising undergraduate students from diverse backgrounds a look at law school and encourages them to pursue a legal education, the Jurist Academy program runs from May 28th through June 7th on the Delaware campus and from June 3rd through June 14th on the Harrisburg campus.
The Jurist Academy program offers participants a simulation of the law school experience, which includes classes on legal writing and analysis, torts, and criminal law. There is also a mandatory LSAT preparation course to assist the students in preparing for law school admission. The students also have an opportunity to speak with practicing lawyers and judges, and attend field trips and a variety of special presentations. The Jurist Academy provides a competitive edge in law school admissions for promising college students from historically underrepresented groups, with the use of education and mentoring, while introducing them to the rigors of legal education and to the rewards of legal careers.
In addition to classroom work and LSAT preparation, participating students will be afforded the opportunity to participate in experiential learning visits. Jurist Academy students on the Harrisburg campus will visit Judge Bernard Coates at the Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas. This courthouse tour will expose students to the inner workings of the judicial system. Students will also enjoy a tour of Harrisburg law firm Rhoads & Sinon LLP. Students on the Delaware campus will enjoy similar opportunities, including a visit to the Media, Pennsylvania Courthouse and a tour of Wilmington law firm Richards, Layton & Finger LLP.
Widener Law gratefully acknowledges the generous sponsorship of the following for making the program possible:
- Ballard Spahr LLP (Delaware)
- Central Pennsylvania College (Harrisburg)
- Dauphin County Bar Association (Harrisburg)
- Delaware State Bar Association (Delaware)
- DuPont (Delaware)
- Eckert Seamans (Harrisburg)
- The Gilliam Foundation (Delaware)
- Highmark Blue Shield (Harrisburg)
- Kaplan Test Prep (Harrisburg)
- Keystone Bar Association (Harrisburg)
- Morris James LLP (Delaware)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association (Harrisburg)
- Pepper Hamilton, LLP (Harrisburg)
- Reilly, Janiczek & McDevitt, P.C. (Delaware)
- Rhoads & Sinon LLP (Harrisburg)
- Richards, Layton & Finger LLP (Delaware)
- Thomson Reuters (Harrisburg)
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP (Delaware)
- And all of the individual donors who have supported the 2013 Jurist Academy program