The Widener Womens Network ~ Harrisburg Chapter met for a luncheon sponsored by the K&L Gates Women in the Profession Committee on July 17, 2012.
Alumna and Commonwealth Court judge, the Honorable Anne E. Covey ’84 served as the event’s guest speaker. Judge Covey is founder of Covey & Associates, P.C., the first woman Member appointed to the Labor Relations Board, an author and instructor. A respected leader and accomplished woman, the Judge spoke on the topic of “Navigating to Success.” She encouraged the room full of professionals to take full advantage of all their personal gifts. Her discussion centered around ten valuable tips:
- How do you define success? Everyone has different gifts and abilities. Figure out what yours are and use them to give back to the community.
- Start with the end in mind. Where do you want to go and how will you get there?
- Visualize your success.
- Stand out.
- Step outside of your comfort zone. Be innovative.
- Build relationships and contacts. Get involved, use any opportunity to network, meet people, join organizations.
- Develop an expertise or a unique way to market yourself.
- Seek the wisdom of elders and mentors.
- Work hard.
- Respect yourself and respect others.
The Judge, who is one of five women serving on the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania's bench, elaborated on each of the ten points peppering her intelligent comments with humor and personal anecdotes. At the conclusion of her presentation, she allowed time for questions and answers addressing mentoring and tips for the courtroom. The audience of alumnae, women from K&L Gates, students and faculty sincerely enjoyed the opportunity to hear pearls of wisdom from one of our Commonwealth’s leaders.
Marlene Tremmel, class of 2006, was the recipient of the business card raffle drawing. Widener University School of Law wishes to extend a special thanks to Amy Groff ’04 and Wendy Neiss of K&L Gates as well as to the firm’s Women in the Profession Committee for assisting with orchestrating this unique networking event.