Business Phone: 302.478.5733
Widener University School of Law
4601 Concord Pike
Wilmington, DE 19803-1406Background Information
- Undergraduate School: Wabash College, 1962
- Law School: Widener University School of Law, 1996
- Graduate School: University of Illinois, M.S. 1964 and Ph.D. 1967
- National Institutes of Health Postdoctoral Fellow, California Institute of Technology - 1967-1969 (with Professor George S. Hammond)
- E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
- Research Chemist, Explosives Department (1969-1971)
- Research Chemist, Central Research and Development Department (1971-1981)
- Section Supervisor, Analytical Chemistry, Haskell Laboratory of Toxicology and Industrial Medicine (1981-1985)
- Research Chemist, Photosystems and Electronic Products Department (1985-1987)
- Intellectual Property Group, Du Pont Electronics (1987-1993)
- Ratner & Prestia, Intellectual Property Attorneys (1997 to 2008)
- Adjunct Professor, Widener University School of Law (Delaware) (1996 to date)
- Courses: Patent Law, Patent Practice
- Admitted to practice law in: Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Inventor or a co-inventor of twelve United States patents.
- Author of over thirty technical articles and reviews, primarily in the area of organic photochemistry.
- American Rose Society Board of Directors, 2006-2009
- American Chemical Society
- Delaware Section, American Chemical Society
- Editor, Del-Chem Bulletin, 1974-1975
- Alternate Councilor - 1973-1978
- Inter-American Photochemical Society
- Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
- Secretary, DuPont Chapter, 1978
- Vice-President, DuPont Chapter, 1979
- President, DuPont Chapter, 1980
- The Delaware Journal of Corporate Law, 1994-1995
Representative Patents and Publications
- Patents, Trademarks and Roses, American Rose Annual, American Rose Society, Shreveport, LA, December 2002, pp. 50-52.
- In Group One, Federal Circuit Clarifies Pfaff "Commercial Offer for Sale", The Patent Journal, Aspen Law and Business, New York, December 2001, Volume 1, Number 3, pp. 6-8.
- Chemical Amplification in Polymer Photoimaging Systems, B. M. Monroe, and S. P. Pappas, Chemistry & Technology of UV and EB Formulation for Coatings, Inks, & Paints, Vol. 5, Specialty Finishes, SITA Technology, London, 1994, pp. 33-99.
- Photoinitiator Systems, B. M. Monroe and G. C. Weed, Chem. Rev., 93, 435-448 (1993).
- Polymerizable Compositions and Elements for Refractive Index Imaging, B. M. Monroe and W. K. Smothers, U. S. Patent 4,942,112, issued July 17, 1990.
- Borate Coinitiators for Photopolymerizable Compositions, G. C. Weed and B. M. Monroe, U. S. Patent 5,143,818, issued Sept. 1, 1992.
· Photopolymerization Sensitizers Active at Longer Wavelengths, B. M. Monroe, U. S. Patent 5,096,790, issued March 17, 1992.
- Improved Photopolymers for Holographic Recording. II. Mechanism of Hologram Formation, B. M. Monroe, J. Imag. Sci., 35, 25-29 (1991); CA: 114, 153839c (1991).
- Structure of Monomer-Binder Formulations in Photopolymerizable Systems, B. M. Monroe, J. E. Gulley, and E. J. Shimshick, J. Imag. Sci., 30, 255-258 (1986); CA: 105, 235640j (1986).