Professor of Law
B.A., University of California
M.S., Oregon State University
Ph.D., Florida State University
J.D., University of Florida
Larry D. Barnett received a B.A. summa cum laude from the University of California at Los Angeles; an M.S. from Oregon State University; a Ph.D. from Florida State University; and a J.D. with Honors from the University of Florida. Professor Barnett is admitted to practice in Florida. He joined the faculty of the Widener University Law School in 1978 and was a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Leiden in The Netherlands in 1979-80. Professor Barnett teaches securities law as well as social science and law. In the area of securities law, Professor Barnett teaches a course on securities regulation and a course on investment companies. He has written two books on the sociology of law — The Place of Law (2011) and Legal Construct, Social Concept (1993, 2010) — and authored Mutual Funds and Federal Regulation, a casebook for law school courses on the federal Investment Company Act and Investment Advisers Act. In addition, Professor Barnett founded Population Research and Policy Review, a journal in the field of demography that has been published since 1982, and he served as editor-in-chief for its first eleven volumes.Courses Taught
Mutual Funds; Securities RegulationSelected Recent Publications
- The Place of Law: The Role and Limits of Law in Society (Transaction Publishers, 2011).
- Legal Construct, Social Concept: A Macrosociological Perspective on Law (Aldine de Gruyter 1993; Transaction Publishers 2010).
- Mutual Funds and Federal Regulation: Readings on the Investment Company Act and the Investment Advisers Act (Lupus Publications 1997, with annual revisions to 2001).
- Societal Properties and Law on Same-Sex Non-Marital Partnerships and Same-Sex Marriage in European Union Nations, 25 JOURNAL OF CIVIL RIGHTS AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT (forthcoming 2011) (with Pietro Saitta).
- The Public-Private Dichotomy in Morality and Law, 18 JOURNAL OF LAW AND POLICY (2010).
- The Financial Sector Upheaval of 2008: Societal Antecedents and Their Implications for Investment Company Regulation, 5 HASTINGS BUSINESS LAW JOURNAL 229 (2009).
- The Regulation of Mutual Fund Boards of Directors: Financial Protection or Social Productivity?, 16 JOURNAL OF LAW AND POLICY 489 (2008).
- Law as Symbol: Appearances in the Regulation of Investment Advisers and Attorneys, 55 CLEVELAND STATE LAW REVIEW 289 (2007).
- The Roots of Law, 15 AMERICAN UNIVERSITY JOURNAL OF GENDER, SOCIAL POLICY, AND THE LAW (forthcoming 2007).
- Law as Symbol: Appearances in the Regulation of Investment Advisers and Attorneys, 55 CLEVELAND STATE LAW REVIEW (forthcoming 2007).
- Social Productivity, Law, and the Regulation of Conflicts of Interest in the Investment Industry, 3 CARDOZO PUBLIC LAW, POLICY, & ETHICS JOURNAL 793 (2006).
- When is a Mutual Fund Director Independent? The Unexplored Role of Professional Relationships under Section 2(a)(19) of the Investment Company Act, 4 DEPAUL BUSINESS & COMMERCIAL LAW JOURNAL 155 (2006).
- The Regulation of Mutual Fund Names and the Societal Role of Trust: An Exploration of Section 35(d) of the Investment Company Act, 3 DEPAUL BUSINESS & COMMERCIAL LAW JOURNAL 345 (2005).